Flameless explosion venting device FLEX C is a passive explosion protection device for releasing explosion energy in enclosed spaces. The explosion relief panel reduces the overpressure of the shock wave and prevents structures from collapsing due to its effects. The mesh diffusion surface reduces the temperature of the explosion products and prevents open flames from escaping to the outside.
The cylindrical shape of the FLEX C enables this flame arrester to be used on small equipment. It is also the most effective explosion protection option for large accumulations of metal dust, which does not settle on the device due to its design.
When an explosion occurs, pressure builds up in the equipment. The alarm gives a command to open the VMP explosion diaphragm. Flames, burning dust, gases are discharged into the FLEX unit.
Temperatures of up to 1500°C can be reached in a normal explosion pressure release. In explosions of light metal powders, e.g. aluminium and magnesium, temperatures can be around 3000 °C.
The released explosion products pass through a system of grids in the dispersal surface where they are cooled and decelerated to safe levels.
- Provides explosion protection in enclosed areas. In the event of an accident in the equipment, only a slight increase in ambient temperature and pressure occurs, which is safe for people and technical structures.
- Due to its cylindrical shape, it is suitable for equipment with a large accumulation of metal dust. It is not trapped on the mesh of the scattering surface.
- Economical to operate. Flame arresters are designed for repeated use. After an explosion, it is sufficient to replace the protective cover, if used.
- Resistant to dust and mechanical damage as well as pressure fluctuations in the process.
- Integrates into existing equipment and automatic control system.